- The European Commission opened a survey (18.7-07.09) on “Which Materials for Sustainable Construction?”. BIBM will develop an answer with the possibility of a common position within the European Concrete Platform.
- The European Commission opened a Public Consultation on “The Urban Dimension of EU Policies”. The consultation recognises the importance of cities in the implementation of EU policies and equally, that EU policies need to be properly adapted to urban realities. The consultation states that 2/3 of EU policies has direct or indirect effect on cities and urban areas. The future EU Urban Agenda will aim for a more integrated approach to policy development, to ensure uniformity and avoid inconsistencies.
- CECODHAS Housing Europe, the European Federation of Public, Cooperative & Social Housing, published a series of best practices about innovation in housing policies. The cited best examples are available on the site of CECODHAS following the link below.
- On 2nd of July, the European Commission issued the long-awaited Communication on Resource Efficiency Opportunities in the Building Sector (COM(2014)445). The Concrete Initiative issued a common press release on Sustainable buildings: Ensuring a balanced approach. The press release can be found at the link below.
- On 2nd of July, the European Commission issued an amending Directive on waste regulations (COM (2014) 397), and a Communication on Circular economy –zero waste for Europe (COM (2014) 398). The European Concrete Platform issued a Press Release and called for right policy framework to support resource efficiency & recycling of C&D waste.
- The European Commission issued a proposal to provide financial assistance from the Globalisation Fund to help Dutch construction workers find new jobs. In the 475 workers have huge difficulties to find new jobs. The measures co-financed by the EU Globalisation fund would help to offer them job-search and outplacement assistance, vocational training and a mobility pool.
Live from the European Union
At the beginning of July, the Council’s next three presidents – Italy, Latvia and Luxembourg – published their priorities for the next 18 months. In line with the previously communicated Italian Presidency’s priorities (July- December 2014), restoring the economy and creating jobs appears to be the most important priority.
Further objectives are investment in research and sustainability, migratory policy, border security and enlargement issues (Turkey and Iceland).
For further details please refer to the following link: Council of the EU – Press Release
News in brief
17 September 2014
30 September 2014
BIBM Communication Commission
6-7 October 2014
ECP Task Force Fire and Eurocodes
8 October 2014
ECP Task Force Sustainable Concrete
9 October 2014
SG13 Notified Bodies
10 October 2014
17 October 2014
CPE – TG Implementation of the CPR
22 October 2014
H&S Committee and webinar
22 October 2014
CPE – TG Dangerous Substances
27 October 2014
The Concrete Initiative – Thematic Lunch on recycling concrete
29 October 2014
6 November 2014
ECP Board meeting
18 November 2014
CPE – CPR WG meeting
21 November 2014
CPE – Sustainable WG meeting
25 November 2014 (tbc)
The Concrete Initiative – Launch in the Parliament
2 December 2014
BIBM General Assembly
To the Newsletter of Construction Products Europe (former CEPMC), please follow this link.
List of Acronyms
CPE- Construction Product Europe
CPR- Construction Products Regulation
ECP- European Concrete Platform