Products in contact with Drinking Water
At a glance
On 01/02/2018, the European Commission proposed to revise the EU Drinking Water Directive 98/83/EC, to improve the quality and the access of citizens to drinking water, as well as provide better information to consumers.
At a glance
- ensure that the quality of surface water and groundwater in Europe meets high standards (sound ecological status) by the year 2015
- all waters, surface waters and groundwater
- “combined approach” of emission limit values and quality standards
- single system of water management is management by river basin – the natural geographical and hydrological unit – instead of according to administrative or political boundaries
- seven old directives were repealed
Recently, the European Commission published the Evaluation of the Water Framework Directive (2000/60/EC) and the Floods Directive (2007/60/EC)
Evaluation covers also two Directives directly linked to the WFD: the Groundwater Directive (2006/118/EC) and the Environmental Quality Standards Directive (2008/105/EC), the so-called “daughter-directives” of the WFD.
A public consultation was opened summer 2018 as part of the evaluation of the Directive.